Friday, November 16, 2007

Little eyes are watching.

A few Sundays ago, I went through my normal morning routine. Wake up the kids, fix breakfast, take a shower, then round up the family and head to church. With four women in my house, I was running late as usual. (It’s not considered disparagement against women if I am stating “facts”…. is it? Hmmm? ) Anyway, not to place the blame on my spouse or any particular child, we were about 15 minutes behind schedule.

Once we got everyone in the car, I tried to make up a little time on the road. I am normally a good driver and try to obey the laws, but this particular morning I was in a rush.


When I got close to my exit, I past a car on my right, signaled, then crossed into their lane. I paused for a second, signaled again, and then continued down the ramp. I felt like I had enough space for the lane change, but the female driver of the car behind me thought differently. I received an immediate honk, then a single finger out the window at the stop light. (and no, it was not “your #1” )


Thankfully, my kids were oblivious to the gesture. My wife on the other hand, witnessed the entire thing. She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Don’t people know there are little eyes watching?” she asked.


The car sped around me when the light turned green then took off down the road. I gave her a little space to avoid a repeat, then continued to church.


I knew that there would only be a few parking spots left, so I went to the back lot and parked my car. As I stepped out, another car drove in from the opposite direction and parked next to me. Immediately, I recognized the driver as the girl who “saluted” me five minutes earlier. She got out of her car, said good morning to me and my family, and then headed towards the chapel.

Didn’t have a clue did she?” asked my wife. “Nope, no idea,” I replied.

My pastor’s message that day was about “living a Christ like life.” My first response was a quick chuckle since my “new” friend was a few rows away. Suddenly I was reminded of all the things I had done the previous weeks and months.
I thought of the time I had lost my temper and said things I shouldn't’ have. I was reminded of a comment that I had made that hurt a friends’ feelings. I remembered losing my patience that very morning and barking at my kids for being late. I thought of the time I asked my daughter to lie for me when the phone rang and I told her to tell them I was not home. Yes, it was a virtual movie for the next 20-30 minutes.

I was reminded of Matthew 7:3 "Why do you stare from without at the very small particle that is in your brother's eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam of timber that is in your own eye?"







After church I apologized to my children, then called a few friends to do the same. We must never forget, there are always little (and big) eyes watching.

No comments: