Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Why Leadership?


A good friend of mine called me today to get “caught up”. We spoke about the kids and our families, then complained a bit about how fast time seems to fly by. The next question he asked me was “How’s your Business”? We have been friends a long time so he was shocked when I said “I don’t have one”. I spoke briefly of the events that led to my recent decision and spoke fondly of my past experiences with Q. (Yes, fond memories. I was partnered with A/Q for much of my adult life. While I disagree with the direction the owners have taken the last few months and the subsequent “knee jerk” reactions of its legal department, I refuse to throw all the good times and memories out the window. I have many great friends that have decided to stay with A/Q and I wish them all the best ) “So what are you doing now”? he asked. “Building Leaders” I stated. “Why Leadership”? was his reply. We spoke a while longer and then hung up the phone.



“Why Leadership?”



This question has many bystanders a little confused with the purpose of TEAM.



Most of the world would say leadership is a position of power or authority, we on the other hand, know that leadership is the ability to influence. Most would see leadership training as way to get a job or a promotion, we see it as a way to change the world. I know, I know, I have been “drinking the Koolaid”. But here is the difference… I have experienced first hand what the “right” training can do to impact your life and those around you. My life was forever changed the day a friend gave me the book The Magic of Thinking Big. There is no way I could repay my friend for what he did by giving me a mid-life course correction on the direction of my life.



I am reminded of the writing on a tomb of an 11th century Anglican bishop inside Westminster Abbey:



"When I was young and free my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country. But it, too, seemed immovable. As I grew in my twilight years, in one desperate last attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it. And now as I lay on my deathbed, I suddenly realized: If I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world."


We are changing the world my friends, one leader at a time!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's powerful. Thank you!

My husband and I joined TEAM 3 weeks ago. We have never even heard of A/Q, but joined because we believe that by becoming leaders in our community, we can help build stronger relationships with our friends, family, and everyone around us. I teach at a university and I hope that by making some positive changes in my way of thinking, I can better influence my students to become leaders in their own life and positively influence the world around them.

Thank you for your post as it reaffirms our decision to become members of TEAM.